What they’re probably looking for:
- Someone who can use data to identify and build the best tools.
- Someone who can see the big picture and set the strategy, while also being able to hop in and do the day to day stuff.
- Someone who has experience working well across teams, and enjoys communicating with engineers.
- Experience using data and user research to make great decisions.
- Experience hiring and/or growing a team that delivers high-quality work.
- Someone with experience jumping in head first and being proactive about setting themselves up for success.
When you apply:
- Share a story about something from your product roadmap that led to a superior result on revenue. Bonus – if you can make it a b2b or internal tools product, do it.
- Explain why you’re passionate about their mission.
- Highlight an experience where communicating effectively with customer-facing teams and/or engineering really paid off big.
- Provide some color on how you hired and grew a team. If you haven’t managed yet, share how you’ve mentored or helped hire, and how your experience will translate into making you a great manager.
- Share how you plan to get up to speed quickly, and describe the processes you put in place to succeed in chaotic, rapid-growth environments before.
Is Better Mortgage right for you:
- 4.3 rating on Glassdoor
- Do you know anyone there?
- In the news
Full Job Posting
A Better opportunity
Better is looking for a Director of Product to own our mortgage platform. You’ll streamline our loan processing workflows, automate repetitive tasks, and make it easier for our operations team to get their work done. This is a high-visibility role that spans internal and consumer-facing product experiences, and is central to our company’s strategy and future growth.
Today it takes 45 days for users to complete a mortgage loan. You will reduce that to 1 day. Today it costs $1,500 to process a loan. You will reduce that to near $0. In accomplishing these goals, you will extend our competitive advantage and help us scale from $1B to $10B in loan volume. Most importantly, you will make it easier for Americans to make the most important purchase of their lives.
Define the product roadmap for our mortgage platform.
Manage and mentor a team of two product managers.
Expand your team by recruiting and closing top candidates.
Help your team execute by triaging bugs, writing specs, and launching new features.
Attributes we value
Minimum 3 years experience launching successful products, preferably with experience building B2B and/or internal tools. You have seen dozens of product cycles and have the speed and confidence to succeed within a fast paced, high-performance startup.
Leadership. You can manage, grow, and develop a team of top-tier Product Managers (currently two).
Process thinking. You can analyze a complex process and find ways to simplify it.
Technical proficiency. You are a trusted partner of engineers. Communicating about technical topics is your forte and you are willing to analyze data and assist with technical trade-offs when needed.
Easy to work with. You understand the perspectives of our users, our customer support team, our operations team, and our design team, and you consider these viewpoints when creating product solutions.
Ability to get up to speed fast. You’re curious about how underwriting, home appraisals, title insurance, credit checks, regulatory disclosures, and closing work. You’re willing to do research and interview our ops team so you can become an expert on the mortgage loan process.
Excitement for Better’s mission to improve access to home finance, and to use a thoughtful combination of design, operations, and technology to do so.
A Better company
It’s hard not to be excited about mortgages when you’re actively upending the conventions of a $13 trillion dollar business that impacts over 200 million Americans.
At Better, we’re building a next-generation mortgage platform from the ground up. We’ve already funded $1 billion in loans, and we’re just getting started. Our team combines leading software engineers from tech giants like Google and Spotify with financial talent from firms like Blackstone and Bridgewater, creating a hybrid institution unlike any other.
Rife with antiquated processes, the home finance industry has remained fundamentally unchanged since the 1970s. As we break down the entrenchments that bar so many from the benefits of homeownership, we adhere to three basic principles:
Humans are better than computers at expressing empathy, understanding individual situations, and creating solutions to help people. Let them.
Computers are more efficient than humans at working with massive data sets, performing complex calculations, and validating thousands of rules. Use them.
The rules of the status quo are broken. Change them.
Join our mortgage revolution.