What they’re probably looking for:
- Someone who has successfully launched new products or features by creating the strategy and actually doing the thing, ideally in the SaaS space.
- Really understands how a sales team works, and can translate launches into something that excites the team and helps them sell better. Bonus if you also really understand demand gen channels and/or have hands on experience there.
- Someone with experience identifying key personas, crafting a brand and telling stories that resonates.
- Someone who has experience getting teams to buy in, and is as comfortable selling a vision to sales and as to engineering.
When you apply:
- Include an example of a successful product launch you orchestrated (make it a SaaS example if you can, bonus points if you can explain how it worked across teams) that led to a superior result on revenue.
- Explain why you’re passionate about their mission, and maybe even touch on how you can see them differentiating from their competitors/the landscape.
- Highlight an experience where you identified an opportunity with the sales team or demand generation team and helped them sell something better with a more compelling story.
- Bonus points: Include any enterprise experience you have and/or explain how you think Heap could better sell into enterprises today.
Is Heap right for you:
- 5 rating on Glassdoor
- Do you know anyone there?
- In the news
Full Job Posting
Heap is a market-leading San Francisco-based analytics startup. After achieving product-market fit with industry-best retention levels, Heap recently closed a Series B financing round and is now building its core marketing function to accelerate growth.
Heap’s Director of Product Marketing will be the all-up strategic quarterback behind Heap’s outbound marketing function.
First, the most important characteristic of this role will be market-leading storytelling. Although the product is technical, it is sold across a wide range of personas, from C-level business leaders to core data scientists. This means the ideal individual has the ability to translate technical features into higher level business value.
To do that, you will be an evangelist, developing go-to-market activities to launch products, create defining moments for the company, and provide the strategy and creative thinking to develop a new defining category in a quickly growing, but crowded space. You will work closely with demand generation to craft compelling campaigns, as well as engineering to develop and communicate a strong product roadmap.
What experience should you have to be successful? You should thrive in chaos, because you enjoy building and out-foxing the competition in a hotly contested space. You should have technical chops: the ability to build credibility with core engineers and CTO/CIO’s, but also business acumen to know if something can sell. You should understand the enterprise customer and what it takes to win in the B2B market. Ideally, you feel comfortable pitching at the C-level, and can translate this to a winning pitch that can land across a sales team.
Key Attributes include:
Ability to translate technical issues in simple language across different audiences.
Ability to work collaboratively across engineering, demand generation, and product management to build product and market strategy.
Strategic thinker who can out-maneuver competition with compelling messaging and positioning.
Successful history of delivering strong product launches.
A subject matter expert in your field of choice, and the aptitude to quickly ramp in a rapidly evolving market.
Creativity, drive, self-starter, collaborative, okay breaking glass but with judgement
BA/BS (preferably in business, engineering, or a related field); MBA a plus
5+ years in product marketing experience in the software market
Direct experience in a relevant SaaS industry such as analytics, mobile, SaaS preferred
Great presentation skills and proven ability to create effective sales tools
Heap has raised $40M in funding from NEA, Y Combinator, Menlo Ventures, SVAngel, Sam Altman, Garry Tan, Alexis Ohanian, Harj Taggar, Ram Shriram, and others.
We work in San Francisco and offer plenty of awesome benefits. We’d love to hear from you!