What they’re probably looking for:
- Someone with 5+ years in communications/pr who can create a process for soliciting stories from customers, starting from scratch.
- Ability to work across departments to build out ways to flag great stories.
- Someone who can spin up a great narrative by asking thoughtful questions, and writing/recording the answers into something people enjoy reading/watching.
- A people person who enjoys meeting and talking to other people.
- Able to get those stories seen by building relationships with press outlets, through speaking gigs, and potentially paid placements.
When you apply:
- Highlight a communications program you built from scratch or how you identified a big opportunity to change an existing one. Share the impact it garnered in terms of brand awareness/impressions. (Bonus points if your example comes from a startup.)
- Share how you’ve built relationships or pursued speaking gigs to distribute your stories, and call out any existing tech & business press ins you have.
- Share a successful story and the results it drove, and explain how you worked across departments to identify it, and bring it to life.
- Explain why you’re passionate about their mission, and the types of stories you could see making an impression for them.
Is Slack right for you:
- 4.7 rating on Glassdoor
- Do you know anyone there?
- In the news
Full Job Posting
Slack brings all the pieces and people together so you can actually get things done. We provide a transformative experience and we care deeply about how our customers relate to our brand, and our product. This Senior Manager of Customer Communications will build programs that share these successful customer stories with the world. We seek a skilled professional to create thoughtful, customer integrated public relations and communications campaigns. This position will offer the opportunity to drive impactful programs that both inspire and influence.
Partner closely with Slack’s Sales and Marketing teams to select compelling customer stories and build thoughtful narratives of how real teams in companies big and small use Slack to get work done
Foster relationships with customers and users to bring stories to life
Select appropriate earned and owned outlets to share these pieces with the world
Proactively seek speaker opportunities
Build relationships with key vertical, technology and business press
7-10 years minimum work experience within public relations or communications
A love for storytelling in a simple, thoughtful, and visual manner
Success in developing and executing compelling communications programs
Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-moving startup environment
Strong existing relationships technology and business press
Excellent written/verbal communication and critical thinking skills
Self-starter with a proven ability to multitask, prioritize and work with all levels and departments within an organization
Slack is the collaboration hub of choice for companies of all sizes, all across the world. By using Slack, they ensure that the right people are always in the loop, that key information is always at their fingertips, and new team members can get up to speed easily. With Slack, teams are better connected.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have nine offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, Toronto and Denver.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.