What they’re probably looking for:
- Someone who has experience in monetizing a subscription or media business.
- Experience leading business development from start to finish – build the relationship, negotiate, develop the contracts working with legal, and implement.
- Experience communicating and project managing the partnership deliverables across departments.
- Someone comfortable creating business models and clearly presenting opportunities (you’re great at Powerpoints – er probably Google slides).
- Someone comfortable getting themselves up to speed, and who can stay calm amidst a sea of change.
When you apply:
- Highlight a time you ideated and pitched a business partnership (bonus if it’s for a subscription or media business) that was a success. Share the impact the solution had on revenue.
- Highlight the processes you put in place to bring your partners’ promises to life through excellent project management across departments. explain how you worked best with any of the following: ad sales, integrated marketing, affiliate marketing and/or subscription product teams.
- Explain why you’re passionate about their mission, and share any new business line opportunities you see for the media space.
- Bonus points: Include a big contract or negotiation win you had, and the results it drove for your company.
Is theSkimm right for you:
- 4.5 rating on Glassdoor
- Do you know anyone there?
- In the news
Full Job Posting
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm makes it easier to be smarter. We started as two friends on a couch and have since purchased more couches and gotten new friends, er… employees. Skimm HQ works hard but knows when to take breaks and when it’s time to update the Spotify playlist. We drink the kool-aid but know we’re drinking it. Through our suite of products, we are disrupting routines and information consumption one Skimm’r at a time. Come join us, we’re changing things.
The sales and partnerships team at theSkimm is a group of experienced, resourceful, scrappy hustlers. We pull out all of the stops to get sh*t done. We’re seeking an energetic, multifaceted rockstar to lead business development and strategic partnerships in support of new business, revenue and audience growth opportunities. This person will be a self-motivated business development professional who is eager to seek out, execute and implement high-value partnerships for the company.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
Responsible for growing new business opportunities through partnerships that enhance and support theSkimm’s sponsorship, commerce, licensing and membership revenue streams
Lead as key external business development liaison, with the ability to lead deal sourcing, contract negotiation, implementation and on-going partner management. Responsible for drafting and negotiating business terms, and partnering with legal counsel to execute partnership agreements
Develop business plans for partnerships including goals, timing, revenue and profit
Establish and manage productive relationships with key partners and relevant industry players
Build consensus internally around business development opportunities, acting as a project manager to ensure seamless execution of partnerships from initial outreach and ideation through implementation
Provide thought leadership on incremental business opportunities – how can theSkimm grow into new business lines? You will provide strategy and analysis support
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
5+ years of relevant industry experience either in business development, sales strategy or partnership management roles
Foundational experience in management consulting or investment banking at top-tier firm
A dynamic, proactive individual who is success oriented, self-motivated, creative yet analytical, a strategic thinker with amazing interpersonal, project management and organizational skills
Proven success collaborating and building consensus across multiple departments, while maintaining tact and diplomacy that lead to positive results
Direct and relevant experience in monetization strategy for membership organizations with a knowledge and enthusiasm for advertising, commerce and subscription model businesses
Readiness to close the deal, whenever and wherever the opportunity exists – experience in leading the end-to-end business development process
Excellent verbal and written communication skills with both internal and external stakeholders – ability to present theSkimm’s proposition for partners across the ecosystem at various stages of the partnership process
Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment, stay organized, and prioritize responsibilities while maintaining a strong attention to detail
A deep understanding of the overall media space and emerging trends, with a foundation in financial and business analysis is critical for success
Strong experience in spreadsheets, creating business models and presenting investment cases
Strong experience in deal negotiation and drafting business terms
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
Passion for theSkimm’s brand and products
Experience working directly with ad sales, integrated marketing, affiliate marketing and/or subscription product teams
WHAT WE OFFER
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
Competitive salary & equity packages alongside annual performance reviews aimed at rewarding and recognizing our diverse talents
A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
‘MassMutual’ 401(k) program
Free ‘One Medical’ Membership
Free ‘Headspace’ Membership
Subsidized family planning and fertility benefits through ‘Carrot Fertility’
Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
Catered meals and drinks during our weekly “Sip’n Skimm” all-hands meeting and twice-monthly “Skimm’e A Drink!” happy hour
The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter.