What they’re probably looking for:
- Someone who has spent 5+ years managing new payment method onboarding, product launches, and payments infrastructural changes.
- Experience in regular reporting such as monthly close, quarterly reviews, and financial & statutory audits.
- Will make sure payments are reconciled and manage collections.
- Can come in and create standardized processes, automating what can be.
- Experience in hiring, growing, and leading a team that delivers great work on time.
- Good at communicating to drive projects through across teams – you can speak non-technically and you’re probably decent at ppts.
When you apply:
- Highlight a payment process you implemented working across teams that helped your company grow (bonus if you can use a large multinational organization as your example). Explain the overall impact.
- Share an example of a way you streamlined or automated regular accounting reporting. If you can highlight a combination of 3rd party and proprietary systems you used that’s a plus.
- Explain a creative solution you implemented for payments & financial risk mitigation, and the impact it had.
- Share how you grew a team and a success the team had. If you managed remote employees mention that.
- Explain why you’re passionate about their mission.
- Bonus: Add any proficiency with Oracle, SAP, Workday, Blackline, Fiserv, ReconArt, MS Excel; Experience in SQL, Tableau and Keynote to your resume.
Is Airbnb right for you:
- 3.9 rating on Glassdoor
- Do you know anyone there?
- In the news
Full Job Posting
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique travel experiences around the world. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb allows people to Belong Anywhere through unique travel experiences at any price point, in more than 34,000 cities and over 190 countries. We promote a culture of curiosity, humanity, and creativity through our product, brand, and, most importantly, our people.
Role & Responsibilities
Sr. Manager, Payments Accounting & Operations
In the role of Sr. Manager, Payments Accounting & Operations, the successful candidate will own technical accounting, controls, reconciliation and transaction analytics for Airbnb payments activity globally. This includes the development and ownership of policies and processes to manage new processor and payment method onboarding, product launches, and financial/payments infrastructural changes, as well as to satisfy regular reporting requirements (examples include monthly close, quarterly reviews, and financial & statutory audits). This role will also own receivables management and collections operations and will be responsible for driving continued efforts to mitigate bad debt.
The role requires a well-rounded business leader with financial, accounting and payments operational expertise and a track record of building scalable solutions. Excellent communication, resource allocation and project management skills are critical, as well as the ability to influence across functions and levels of leadership. In this role you will be required to balance the rapidly growing needs of the organization with finance and compliance objectives. The position reports to the Controller of Airbnb Payments.
Lead team responsible for payments and cash accounting for Airbnb globally
Technical accounting assessment for current and new payment methods and related contracts
Processor and Payment method onboarding
Financial close and reporting requirements
Payments reconciliation and exception management (including ownership of 3rd party support system(s))
Accounts Receivable and collections program ownership
BPO + Shared Service resource management
Payments & financial risk mitigation (through close partnerships with Engineering, Product, IT and other finance functions)
Ownership of key cash & payments related controls
B.S. or B.A. in Finance, Accounting, Business or related field of study. MBA or Master’s of Accountancy a plus.
10+ years of accounting and payment operations experience, including 5+ years of management level experience in a large multinational organization
3+ years of relevant industry (tech, payments, marketplace(s), hospitality)
Experience managing remote/shared service team members and vendor partners
CPA or equivalent international certification.
Strong working knowledge of US GAAP.
Experience with large-scale ERP systems (Oracle, SAP, Workday).
Experience implementing and/or managing payments reconciliation and exceptions management solutions (Blackline, Fiserv, ReconArt). Experience leveraging a combination of 3rd party and proprietary systems is a plus.
Polished communication skills and a track record of successful cross-functional collaboration on shared initiatives.
Experience in process development, standardization and automation, with proven ability to operate successfully in a highly-complex and changing environment with competing objectives and priorities.
Proven ability to attract, develop and lead a high performing finance organization.
Passion for and proven track record of training and developing team members.
Proficient in MS Excel; Experience in SQL, Tableau and Keynote a plus
Role models Airbnb Core Values at the Leadership level